Friday 8 May 2020

Lockdown Experience of a Nigerian Sex Worker




A sex worker in the northern Nigerian has told the BBC how coronavirus has affected her livelihood.

 

She lives in the mainly Muslim state of Kano, which is in the fourth week of a lockdown. No-one is allowed to leave their houses, except on Mondays and Thursdays between 10:00 and 16:00 to get food.

 

And despite it being the holy month of Ramadan, Muslims have not been allowed to gather for prayers or for the iftar meal to break fast.

 

Aisha, which is not her real name, says she is struggling to survive because of the restrictions:

 

Quote Message: I’ve tried to carry on working, but it’s not possible because of the lockdown, and also because of the Ramadan period.

I’ve tried to carry on working, but it’s not possible because of the lockdown, and also because of the Ramadan period.

 

Quote Message: Almost everybody here is a Muslim, so it’s not possible because in the afternoon they are all around with their family and in the evening they want to go and break their fast with their family.

Almost everybody here is a Muslim, so it’s not possible because in the afternoon they are all around with their family and in the evening they want to go and break their fast with their family.

 

Quote Message: Most of our clients are married men, so it’s not easy for them coming out."

Most of our clients are married men, so it’s not easy for them coming out."

 

Islamic law, known as Sharia, was introduced in Kano state in 2000, and to several other areas of the north.

 

Since then prostitution, gambling and the consumption of alcohol have been banned in Kano.

 

Quote Message: In Nigeria the police are very, very active because sex work is not allowed, especially here in the north.

In Nigeria the police are very, very active because sex work is not allowed, especially here in the north.

 

Quote Message: If you are caught selling sex you can be arrested and jailed. We are in this Sharia state."

If you are caught selling sex you can be arrested and jailed. We are in this Sharia state."

 

Aisha says she has not received any form of official welfare payment during the lockdown.

 

Quote Message: In Nigeria there is no support for sex workers. None.

In Nigeria there is no support for sex workers. None.

 

Quote Message: The only support we have had is from the NSWA - that’s the Nigeria Sex Workers' Association - because they have savings put aside from what we usually make.

The only support we have had is from the NSWA - that’s the Nigeria Sex Workers' Association - because they have savings put aside from what we usually make.

 

Quote Message: So that if anything comes up we support one another. And now the NSWA has run dry, because what [money] it had, it distributed all around the state to sustain the sex workers.

So that if anything comes up we support one another. And now the NSWA has run dry, because what [money] it had, it distributed all around the state to sustain the sex workers.

 

Quote Message: I’m hoping that maybe it will get support from the government, but there’s nothing coming in.

I’m hoping that maybe it will get support from the government, but there’s nothing coming in.

 

Quote Message: We just have to look for another alternative and another means. The government doesn’t even want to know how the sex workers are doing here in Nigeria.

We just have to look for another alternative and another means. The government doesn’t even want to know how the sex workers are doing here in Nigeria.

 

Quote Message: But my funds are finished. They're gone. And I don’t have any alternative.

But my funds are finished. They're gone. And I don’t have any alternative.

 

Quote Message: I am able to pay my bills because of the support from some clients - those that care.

I am able to pay my bills because of the support from some clients - those that care.

 

Quote Message: They are maybe getting me a little food, some money.

They are maybe getting me a little food, some money.

 

Quote Message: But it’s not enough because I have to share what I have with my other sisters.

But it’s not enough because I have to share what I have with my other sisters.

 

Quote Message: So it’s not easy. And I don’t know how long this is going to be.

So it’s not easy. And I don’t know how long this is going to be.

 

Quote Message: I feel disappointed that my government hasn’t given us any support. The government is not trying at all."

I feel disappointed that my government hasn’t given us any support. The government is not trying at all."


BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Ojude Oba festival

 The Ojude Oba festival is an annual celebration by the Yoruba people of Ijebu-Ode, a major town in Ogun State, Southwestern Nigeria. This v...