Thursday 1 March 2012

Baba Sala's Son Speaks With Yemi Olakitan on Music Career





Baba Sala’s Son, B'Sala speaks on Music Career
By Yemi Olakitan

Pop Sensation, B’Sala is the son of legendary comedian and film producer Baba Sala, Moses Olaiya Adejumo, B’Sala is a new sensation in Nigerian Hip Pop scene and he has just released a single his album, titled: Follow Me, which he is presently promoting allover the country. In this interview with Yemi Olakitan he bares his mind on the Nigerian entertainment scene, his father’s legacy and many other interesting issues. Excerpts:
How did the music start?
I have been doing this music for a long time and i have just released a new single titled: ‘‘Follow me,’’ Its been about 10 years that I have been performing music professionally. I started in school but I am trying to exhibit it to everyone now. I was in Osun state College of Technology, in Esa-Oke. I was doing Mathematics’ and Statistics. My friends used to come and see me in my room and then I was always singing for them. While I was in school, I had many friends partly because of my father’s legacy. People were drawn to whatever I say, they laughed even if it wasn’t funny. Many people thought I would go into Drama and not music actually but I have always loved music and I have to do what I love even my father thought I was going into Drama I am good in acting but for now I want to focus on music and then may be later on. I will go into Drama. I do not want to start Drama first because if I do that I will not be able to go into music.
It is not that music is easier. In fact music is harder and much more challenging. You have to create a sound that many people would love to listen to all the time. In Drama, if you can act; most of the works are already done. All you need to do is to pick up your script and get on set. Music on the hand, takes a lot from you. You need to do everything yourself, especially in Nigeria where we do not have proper recording companies. You have to do all aspect of the business yourself.

How about Funding?
People have argued that I should go into Drama first and then branch into music later or do both, side by side but I tell you., it is not that easy. My father started as a musician but he has to abandon music for king sunny Ade. He could not combine it. The moment he realized that he was good in comedy and he was making it, he became distracted; you just have to face one. The argument that I should go into drama and used the money there to fund music is not acceptable to me. One will always find a way to make it. I have a good direction of where I am going. Look at Wasiu Alabi Pasoma. When he started acting, all the Yoruba actors began calling him to come and act in their movies, his fan base in the music scene began to decline. You se, he had to go back and re-focus on his music. Anything that we need to do that is great, require focus and determination and most of the time it is not easy.
• What do you have to say about your father?
I want to say that I am very proud to be his son. He is truly a legend, an icon and he got to the peak of his career. It was not easy for him though. He suffered in the hands of piracy and he almost commit suicide but for the intervention of people like Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Olusegun Obasanjo, and many eminent Nigerians who stood by him. It was then, that he released Mosebolatan. That was the movie that consoled him. It was well received despite the fact that Orun Mooru was pirated. I am glad that he was able to survive that era although he sold some choice property to settle the loan that was used to finance that movie. Piracy remained one of the great problems of our nation. We cannot fold our hands and looked and allow it to destroy our entertainment industry. You see, my father took great pains in producing his movies, if you put any of those movie to the cinema today, people would still rush to see them because of the kind of quality and technology that went into the production. He took a huge loan from the bank and piracy dealt with him. Tunde Kelani, in the UK shot the movie.It was a great one. I am happy that he survived that period.
What I admire about my father is his humility. He became so famous and he made money but you cannot see any sign of pride in him because he never allow those things to get into his head. His humility is very profound. We never had any security guard at home when my father was in active entertainment. He is a very simple man because; you never know how rich or how poor he was. He took life simply.
His new album, Follow Me,
The hit song is Hip Pop, It is a very danceable, club and party song. It has some very serious local percussions and it talks about the beauty of Nigerian ladies. We have been working on it for about a month now and now it is out, It is currently enjoying airplay on radio stations across the country. I have a management company in the United States. They saw my single on You tube and they loved it. I released two singles last year and so this is not the first. I also did a collaboration with a group based in the US. I have not been discussing with any Nigerian record label. I am still on the look out. I am looking for a label that loves my work and is passionate about promoting it. Look at Mo Hits records, They do quality music and everything they release is superb because they do their home work well. My father used to say that the next generation would see his movie and that they are evergreen. This is because the movies are well produced and they do not use foul language. Every song cannot be about women. We need to sing songs that add values to the society. I love Michael Jackson because of this. His lyrics are good. They have deep meanings. If you do a song and three or four years after, people cannot relate with it and love it. You did not do a good job. My father said when he wants to shoot his movie, it cam take a whole year and sometimes two. Orun Mooru was shot by a film company in the UK. They used to study the weather before they go to locations in those days. They were experts. I appreciate King Sunny Ade too. I was with him at his home once. He hosted me.I always call him on phone. He accommodated me and he encouraged me.
Message to His fans.

I want to tell my fans that they should watch out for me. Follow me is hot. They should expect more from me. I will not let them down. I want to thank all those who believe in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu won the Lagos Governorship elections

  Yemi Olakitan   Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) was named the victor of Saturday's go...