Saturday 19 April 2014

Being a chorister has helped me musically –Femi G



Femi G

Femi G is a multi-instrumentalist, songwriter and music producer. He recently spoke with Sunday Mirror on how the Choir ministry has contributed positively to the advancement of his music career.
The eclectic musician whose genre of m u – sic cuts across, R&B, Gospel, Blues, Hip Pop and Jazz revealed that being a chorister of Saint Andrews, Anglican Church Ipaja, Lagos, helped his creativity and performance in music. Femi said he first joined the choir at the age of 13 when his father was a lay preacher at the United African Methodist Church in Lagos.
‘‘I have always been a choir boy. I can remember when my father made my sister and I join ourchurch choir in the 80s. Since then, there has been no going back. There is nowhere I went that I did not belong to a church choir. Presently, I am with St Andrew, Anglican Church Choir, Akinyele Ipaja, Lagos. I play the alto-saxophone with the church band,’’ he said.
Speaking further, he said his involvement in the choir at an early age helped him appreciateGospel music deeply. It also helped him develop diverse creative interest in song composition.
A graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Femi holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music. He enjoys teaching young people, working in the studio or playing music with the choir as well as performing on stage.
On the meaning of his name, he said, ‘‘I am Femi G.G stands for Gbolahan my middle name; G also stands for my first instrument, the guitar and vocal key G major. Now, I have gone further. I sing on A major,’’ he said.
‘‘I was inspired initially by pure creativity and imagination to start writing my own songs right from when I was in the primary school. My first major mentors were Eddy Grant and Chris Okotie in the early days. Then many others; some of them are J.T.Taylor of Cool and the Gang, Michael Jackson and R Kelly.’’
On Nigerian music, Femi said: ‘‘I listen to a lot of Ebenezer Obey and Sunny Ade and I’m thinking of working on a couple of their songs in the future. My vision for my music is such that I should be able to produce big and inspirational songs like R Kelly and Michael Jackson. Being a chorister has helped my musicianship a great deal in terms of exposure and skills development. I am not only a Gospel artiste; I am into all kinds of music that sound good, beautiful and worthwhile and edifying.’’

‘‘Two out of my Gospel songs are ‘Call on Jesus’ and ‘Oh Lord, have your way’. I will say I am more like R Kelly in that aspect and approach. I have just recorded a song that I am very proud of and I want the public to hear it soonest. It is a great song. It makes me feel like the first time I heard Michael Jackson’s Rock with You,’’ he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu won the Lagos Governorship elections

  Yemi Olakitan   Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) was named the victor of Saturday's go...